We believe that educational planning and the selection of classes is one of the most important parts of your student’s high school experience, and we hope you will take an active part in the process.
The Course Guide contains information on graduation requirements, Common Core State Standards, NCAA Clearinghouse requirements, and every course offered at Mundelein High School. It lists the following for each course: prerequisites, grade level criteria, number of terms, number of credits, and the course description. In addition, Mundelein High School frames course selection in the context of Programs of Study
. Please take time to review and discuss the Programs of Study with your son/daughter, so that our students choose courses that align with their post-secondary plans.
Each student will receive a Course Selection Worksheet; this worksheet lists every course offered next year for each grade level, along with the number of terms the course meets. Next to the department heading is a corresponding page number in the Course Guide. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are required to fill 16 periods for the year. Seniors are required to fill 12 periods and still maintain 3 courses in any one term to be considered full-time students.
Beginning in December, counselors will schedule individual appointments with each student. During the appointments, counselors will review graduation requirements, record course selections, and discuss post- high school plans.
Please contact our Guidance Department at 949-2200 if you have any questions. We look forward to working closely with you and your students to plan for an exciting and challenging 2015-2016 school year.
3 STEPS TO COMPLETING COURSE SELECTION
- Review the graduation requirements to determine what courses you need for graduation. When selecting courses, consideration should be given to post-high school plans.
- Mark your selections on the Course Selection sheet. Include at least 2 alternative course selections for electives. Make sure a parent/guardian signs your Course Selection sheet.
- Bring your completed Course Selection sheet with you when you meet with your counselor.
To graduate from Mundelein High School, students must complete 25 academic credits (as described below), the Prairie State Achievement Exam (PSAE), and the Illinois and United States Constitution Exams. The PSAE is administered during a student’s junior year. The Illinois and United States Constitution Exams are administered in the American Government and Politics course, which is a required course for all students.
• 4.0 units of approved English
• 3.0 units of approved Math
• 3.0 units of approved Science
• 3.0 units of approved Social Science
• 4.0 units of approved Health/PE
• 8.0 units of approved electives