We ASPIRE to engage our students with great learning environments and be able to attract and retain exceptional staff… Our facilities represent a significant gap.
I. We do not have enough of the right kind of space
- We have limitations in space for academics, activities and athletics, leading to sub-optimized scheduling and long days/off hours for facility use.
- We have limited food service/cafeteria space leading to too many lunch periods, extending from 10:15 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
- Due to space limitations, athletic practices regularly continue late into the evenings
II. Some of our facilities spaces are not equipped for modern high school needs
- Our original 1961 kitchen is outdated.
- Our auditorium and gymnasiums do not meet current ADA accessibility standards.
- The stage in the auditorium is too small and the gymnasium is also too small and does not have air conditioning.
- The band room has poor acoustics and is too small to fit the number of students in band.
- Our athletic spaces are small, outdated and limited by a lack of flexible use.
Project Needs Overview
- Mundelein High School was constructed in 1958. School construction has a 50- to 75-year life span.
- The current auditorium, main gym and cafeteria are original construction elements. MHS has outgrown these elements.
- In 1960 there were two girls sports and 10 boys sports available to students. Currently MHS offers 16 girls sports and 15 boys sports.
- Due to space limitations, athletic practices regularly continue late into the evenings.
- Curriculum, programs and co-curricular offerings including performing and fine arts, athletics, clubs and activities evolved significantly since 1958.
- Due to space and design limitations, four lunch periods are needed.
- The original 1961 kitchen is outdated.
- The auditorium and gymnasiums do not meet current ADA accessibility requirements.
- Enrollment increased from 1,500 to 2,206.
- There have been four significant additions to the original building:
- North Gym (multi-purpose room) - 1988
- Natatorium (swimming pool) - 1991
- ‘A’ Wing Addition - 1997
- Science Lab and Classrooms addition - 2016