For the third time in nine years, the Mundelein High School Jazz Ensemble will perform at the Illinois Music Education Conference in Peoria. The ensemble will perform for hundreds of music educators and students from across the state at the IMEC conference on Jan. 26.
It’s an honor to be chosen since the selection process for this festival includes recording submissions from many ensembles across the state. Selected groups cannot apply for performance again for four years.
Recognized as one of the best Jazz programs in the Midwest, the Mundelein High School Jazz Ensemble has been named Honor Band at the Purdue Jazz Festival (2018-2022) and was selected to perform at the 75th Annual Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic in 2021.
Such honors are high praise for the Mundelein Band Program under the leadership of Band Directors Andy Sturgeon and Jerry Shelato, both in their 11th year at MHS.
The Mundelein Jazz Ensemble will perform at 8:15 a.m. on Friday, January 26th at the Civic Center in Peoria alongside the John Hersey High School Jazz Ensemble. The students are planning a collaborative performance combining students from both high schools into making music together. The performance will feature a few pieces with double big band as well as instrumental section features and small vocal numbers.
Several opportunities to hear the Mundelein Jazz Ensemble perform this fall include:
- Sunday, October 8, 6 p.m. – Nellies (180 N. Smith St, Palatine)
- Monday, October 23, 7:15 p.m. – The Jazz Showcase (806 S. Plymouth Ct, Chicago)
- Thursday, November 2, 7 p.m. – The MHS Auditorium with guest artist Marques Carroll and the Stevenson High School Jazz Band
- Friday, November 17, noon – At the Illinois School Board Association (Triple I Conference in Chicago)
- Thursday, December 14, 7 p.m. – Performance at the MHS Auditorium