In years past, Mundelein High School has hosted blood drives to help keep the supply strong in our geographic area. The pandemic which hit last March changed everything but it has not changed the need for blood. Every few seconds someone in the United States needs a blood transfusion to help them survive surgery, trauma, recover from cancer treatments or a blood disorder.
Due to remote learning and social distancing, Mundelein High School will hold a Virtual Blood Drive to take place over a four-week time period from November 16 through December 13. Donors, who must be at least 16 years old, may include students, staff, family and friends.
“Tell your neighbors and friends to donate,” said Justin Hart, MHS Wellness Department Chair and coordinator of the event. “Wear school apparel and take selfies to post on social media,” he said.
Here are the details:
- Donate blood at any Vitalant Donor Center (formerly LifeSource). The closest sites are in Gurnee and Lake Bluff. All locations may be found here: https://www.vitalant.org/Donate/Blood-Donation/Locations.aspx
- All donors who provide the group code MN07 (or school name) during the screening process at the time of donation will receive a coupon for a FREE large one-topping pizza from Papa John’s and will give the school credit for the scholarship dollars.
- Vitalant has responded to the pandemic with many safety measures including temperature checks, social distancing, continuous sanitation of donor-touched areas and the use of masks by donors and staff.
- Signing up online is easy. Visit www.vitalant.org and click “Donate Now” on any page. First-time users should click “New Donor” and proceed to complete the registration
- Mention Mundelein High School or the group code MN07.
“Every use of the group code helps MHS earn scholarship dollars through the Vitalant High School Scholarship Program,” Hart explained. “These funds help us with student scholarships here at the school.”