Mundelein High School’s student publications earned high marks in the Illinois Journalism Education Association’s (IJEA) yearbook and newspaper competitions. The Mustang, the student-produced school newspaper, earned 26 awards in 31 categories while the Obelisk, the school’s yearbook, received six awards out of eight categories in the yearbook contest.
“The students on both publication staffs put in so much time, effort and passion into their products,” said Michelle Didzbalis, advisor for both publications. “I’m always thrilled when the students are recognized for their hard work.”
The Obelisk staff took first place in the Best Coverage of School Year category. The Mustang Staff earned second place for Best Website and third for both Best Hybrid Publication (publications that appear in both print and online) and Best Overall Publication.
A detailed listing of all the awards received by the MHS publications is as follows. The Mustang:
- Best Feature Story First Place: Ashley Cline “Mundelein Took to the Skies: Lasting Impact of the Aviation Program.”
- Best Sports News Story Third Place: Kylie Carrier “Varsity boys basketball receives media coverage for success.”
- Best Sports Feature Story Honorable Mention: Kylie Carrier “Kasemets breaks records to place second at state.”
- Best Sports Feature Story Honorable Mention: Kylie Carrier “Guadarrama leaves a mark after four years of MHS wrestling.”
- Best Staff Editorial Honorable Mention: Editorial Board “Student Press Freedom Day: The importance of scholastic journalism.”
- Best Serious Commentary Third Place: Tress Dorfler “The lack of learning with standards-based grading.”
- Best Humorous Commentary Second Place: David Bernauer “China donates part of Great Wall to US.”
- Best Review Second Place: Hannah Stanley “No jokes to be made about ‘Joker’ movie.”
- Best Sports Photo Second Place: Kylie Carrier “Wrestling.”
- Best Sports Photo Third Place: Hannah Stanley “SPED basketball.”
- Best Illustration Honorable Mention: Hannah Stanley “Santa Sleigh.”
- Best Advertisement First Place: Sarah Parduhn “Emil’s Sports Bar & Pizzeria.”
- Best Advertisement Third Place: Katelyn Staroszczyk & Ashley Cline “Mundelein High School Yearbook.”
- Best Single-Page Story Package First Place: Ashley Cline “Mundelein Once Took to the Skies.”
- Best Centerspread Story Package First Place: Hannah Stanley “Dancing Through the Decades.”
- Best Centerspread Honorable Mention: Hannah Stanley “Spooky season festivities begin.”
- Best Photo Story First Place: Hannah Stanley “SPED basketball game.”
- Best Photo Story Second Place: Kylie Carrier “Veterans Day assembly.”
- Best Overall Design (print): The Mustang Staff “August-September 2019 issue.”
- Best Photo Gallery or Photo Slideshow Third Place: Hannah Stanley “SPED basketball game.”
- Best Photo Gallery or Photo Slideshow Honorable Mention: Kylie Carrier “Veterans Day Assembly.”
- Best Multimedia Story Package First Place: Ashley Cline “Mundelein Took to the Skies: Lasting Impact of Aviation Program.”
- Best Multimedia Story Package Third Place: Tress Dorfler “Honors Jazz Ensemble takes first at Purdue University.”
The Obelisk also earned Honorable Mention in the following categories:
- Best Copy Writing, Best Sports Coverage, Best Use of Photography, Best Graphics and Best Divider Pages.
Photo Caption: The Mustang staff interviews retired teachers about how MHS has changed over the years at a retiree breakfast hosted by the district in August. The students used the information gathered to create a “Dancing Through the Decades” centerspread for the year’s first issue which received a first-place win in the Best Centerspread Story Package category.